Awaiting accreditation -
Green Business Tourism Scheme
Here at Gables Guest House we are committed to being more
environmentally friendly and aware of all things harming our planet. Many aspects of Green Tourism are vital to how
we live our everyday lives.
Working towards a Green Tourism Business Award has proved a little bit of a challenge in how best to tackle the issues we face, so in 2011 we embarked on a series of works in
order to try and meet these challenges head on.
At the Gables in order to reduce our carbon footprint and minimize our impact on the environment we
encourage our guests to adopt the same policies as we ourselves use. This does not mean we compromise
on the comfort or the 4 star with Gold Award quality of our
We encourage our guests to car share when travelling into Lincoln whenever possible, or to consider local bicycle hire for short or longer day trips out.
We also advise on local bus routes into Lincoln in order to "leave the car parked where it is for the day"
A car journey not taken is vital for cleaner air for all.
At the Gables we continually look for ways and ideas to improve and modify our actions,so ensuring minimum impact upon our environment.
Here are some actions we take to help reduce our carbon footprint
We have installed a solar pv array of 5.39kw to generate our own
electricity (weather and sunshine permitting).
Carbon avoided going into the atmosphere since commissioning of system in August 2011=
12448lb (as at 3rd March 2014).
We have installed solar thermal water heating (40 tubes) which heats our
300 litre water tank up to 60 degrees Celsius
We have a rain water harvesting system in place which can collect 2400
litres of rainwater at any one time for running
the washing machine (Triple filters in place)
Volume of rainwater collected and re used since
comissioning of system in May 2012 =64235 litres
- We recycle paper, newspaper, glass and cans and when sufficient quantities of cardboard have accrued we take this to the local recycle centre
- Compost all
uncooked vegetables and fruit waste as well as the discarded egg shells (which helps keep the garden pest free)
- We have a small stock of "bags for life" which we happily give out for guests use to avoid having to use use plastic bags
- We grow
as much fruit and vegetables for our and business needs as possible
use Fair Trade tea and coffee as well as other products when available wherever possible
- Most of our food comes from
local farmers and local businesses and regional and British seasonal food is used wherever
- We print no marketing
leaflets etc all our advertising is internet based
- Our electricity, gas and water bills are monitored on a monthly basis
- All the light bulbs in the guest house are low energy
- The guest house has full cavity wall and loft insulation
- We ask guests to be water
wise by not leaving taps running when brushing teeth
- All our toilets have dual flush controls throughout (small flush or big flush)
- The guest house is totally double glazed to avoid heat loss and all rooms have their own thermostatic radiator valves to allow guests to choose their own heat level for optimum comfort
- We ask if guests will turn the
radiator control down rather than open windows
- We use a towel change policy to save on disbursing detergents as much as possible
- We ask all guests to choose their own
breakfast rather than serving a standard plate of food hence saving large volumes of wastage
- Upon request Walkers and Cyclists leaflets and maps are available along with, books of local walks, timetables and information
- We promote car sharing days with information on bus and train timetables as well as a
wealth of information of what to see
- Use only recycled paper for all the guest house requirements
Tips for our guests
- We sincerely hope you have a very enjoyable break with us and that by reading the above information you can help us make an impact to reduce our's and your carbon footprint
- All ideas for any green issues not covered in this article you may have will be greatly welcomed and given careful consideration by us
Tel: +44 (0) 1522 829102
Address: 546 Newark Road, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN6 9NG England